Robert Peake, who studied with Suzanne Lummis, has had incredible success in the years since taking Writers’ Program classes. He has published in North American Review, Poetry International, Rattle, Iota, Long Poem Magazine and Magma Poetry; received commendation in the Atlantic Monthly Student Writing Competition and the Indiana Review Prize; completed his MFA at Pacific University (one of the top five low-residency programs in the US), and was long-listed in the UK National Poetry Competition. In addition, he’s published two chapbooks, Human Shade (Lost Horse Press, 2011) and The Silence Teacher (Poetry Salzburg, 2013). Now he’s hosting an online series, Transatlantic Poetry, pairing up US and UK/European poets for live readings via Google+ Hangouts.

“The UCLA Extension Writers’ Program was my first real taste of creative writing education. Suzanne introduced us to ways of thinking about our writing that would not have occurred to me on my own. As part of the Master Class, I made my reading debut at Beyond Baroque, and became better known in the Los Angeles poetry community. I am still friends with many of the poets from those formative years I spent in the program. It was the start of something great for me–acknowledging and embracing a vital need to be involved with the conversation of poetry.”

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.