A couple of weeks ago, we welcomed the newest addition to our Wp’ family – Nutschell (pronounced Noo-Shell) Windsor. As the Program Representative in Creative Writing (Online) and Events, Nutschell is excited to be scheduling writing courses and planning fun annual events for Writers’ Program students. She certainly has a huge role to fill! However, her experience founding Children’s Book Writers of Los Angeles, and her role as a board member of the LA region of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), has gone a long way in preparing her for the job. Read on to learn more about Nutschell and her passion for writing.

Writers’ Program: Welcome to the Writers’ Program! How does it feel to be working here?

Nutschell Windsor: Amazing! It feels like coming home. I love organizing writing events and planning workshops, so this job was a blessing of epic proportion. To be able to get paid to do what I love doing is a dream come true. On top of that, I’ve always been a big fan of the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program so I am super thrilled to finally be part of the team.

Wp’: What are you most excited about? Any events, classes, experiences, etc…

NW: I’m excited about everything! The UCLA Extension Writers’ Program is known for its excellent courses so I’m excited to play a role in offering them to the public. And I love to organize writing events so it’s a treat just to be able to work behind the scenes on the many events that the Writers’ Program participates in each year.

Wp’: What made you want to be a writer?

NW: I’ve always loved words and stories. I won a “Best Storyteller” award when I was in nursery school, and when I was in the third grade, I wrote poems and stories about all my teachers and classmates. I loved all my English classes because it gave me an excuse to write, and even in college I took writing courses—which were completely unrelated to my Psychology Degree. As a writer, I get to create worlds by using words. I love that about writing.

Wp’: Do you find it difficult to balance your full-time job with your personal goals/writing endeavors? What are some sure-fire ways to keep pursuing your passion?

NW: It can be tricky to balance writing and life. One thing that I always gripe about is not having enough time to actually sit down and write my story. But since writing is my passion, I try to make sure I make time for it. What helps is having critique partners who keep me on track. We exchange chapters every week and encourage each other to keep on writing, even when it’s hard to find the time.

Wp’: As a program representative, you’ll be talking to students about their writing goals. What’s the best piece of advice you can give to those students looking to you for help?

NW: One of my favorite authors, Richard Bach, once said, “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.”

Each writer is in line for that rewarding writing career, that book they want to publish. The people who actually get published are the ones who stuck it out and didn’t give up their place in line, even when it seemed futile.

It may seem cliché, but the best writing advice I can give is Don’t Ever Give Up. Take writing classes, attend conferences and workshops, join critique groups, read tons of books. All of these things take time, but in the end they can only make you a better writer.

To welcome Nutschell to the Writers’ Program or to discuss which course is right for you, contact her at (310) 794-1846 or nwindsor@uclaextension.edu.

Phoebe Lim is the Program Assistant for Creative Writing (Online) and Events. Contact her at 310-825-0107 or plim@uclaextension.edu.