UCLA Extension

Success: Writers’ Program Summer Reading List – Natashia Deon’s Grace

Natashia Deon 300dpiNatashia Deon is a Writers’ Program alum, former insurance defense attorney, 2010 PEN USA Emerging Voices Fellow, an LA Weekly Most Interesting Person 2013, and founder of the nonprofit Dirty Laundry Lit. With the publication of her novel Grace (Counterpoint Press) this week, she can add “professional novelist” to her resume.

Redbook Magazine calls Grace “a multigenerational story about strong women in one of the darkest eras of American history.” The story’s protagonist is Naomi, a runaway slave in the 1840s south. Buzzfeed, LitHub, Redbook Magazine and Hello Giggles all call it a 2016 “must-read.”Natashia Deon Grace Cover

“The Writers’ Program is where I started developing new ideas for Grace and other stories under the guidance of amazing instructors like Alyx Dellamonica and Robert Eversz,” says Natashia. “They helped me to focus and to shape my manuscript. In the process, I became a stronger and more confident writer. They helped me to see the strengths and weaknesses in my writing and taught me how to talk about my work and to study the work of others. I felt prepared when it was time for me to take the next step of my writing journey.”

Congratulations, Natashia! We can’t wait to see what you do next.

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.

Tags: