Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor, Trebor Healey! Trebor is teaching a new course this summer, Gay Men’s Writing Workshop: A Literary Approach to Writing About Gay Life, and sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and her upcoming course.

1) What sparks your creativity?

Listening wherever I am, and picking up phrases, stories, behaviors, ideas. Also nature, children, and places I’ve never been.

2) What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?

For energy, inspiration, motivation I go somewhere else if I can – even down the highway to a town nearby and find a coffeeshop. Something about taking yourself out of the normal setting awakens you to listen and grasp what is REALLY going on around you. A hike helps, a writing class helps, exercise helps, saunas really help! As for finding time, Latin America, where I can live cheaper and I feel less pressure.

3) What’s your favorite book and/or movie?

Favorite book is always hard and changes, but let’s just say Pedro Lemebel’s Tender Matador today. Favorite movie is Nicholas Roeg’s Walkabout.

4) What’s your favorite quote about writing?

“Kill your darlings,” because it frees you… all the good quotes are about freeing you from self-imposed constraints.

5) Who do you wish you could write like (or: Whose writing discipline do you wish you had)?

William T. Vollman’s discipline, Jeannette Winterson’s skill, presence and grasp of the moral universe. I’d also love to have Angela Carter’s lushness… I need to re-memorize the Oxford English Dictionary!

6) What excites you most about teaching for the Writers’ Program?

Getting people to wake up to the beauty and truth within them and giving them an avenue to get to it.

7) What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?

My hope is that they leave inspired with the tools and capacity to stay connected to their inspiration and inner voice so that they can then build on that relationship and discipline and develop and expand their creative voice toward a full expression of their unique gifts and abilities as creative writers.

Thank you to Trebor for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!

Bree is the Assistant to the Director and Social Media Coordinator. You can email her at btodish@uclaextension.edu.