Former student Charmaine Craig recently published her second novel, Miss Burma, to solid acclaim. Miss Burma tells the story of modern-day Burma through the eyes of one family’s struggle to find love, justice, and meaning during a time of war and political repression. It has recently been named a New York Times Book Review Editors’ Choice, an Amazon Best Book of the Month in Literature & Fiction, a BBC.com pick, and a Literary Hub pick.

On what she learned during her time in the Writers’ Program, Charmaine says, “I still think with gratitude of the inspiring instruction I received from Judith Prager and Harry Youtt in the Writers’ Program over twenty years ago. With my own students in the Department of Creative Writing at UC Riverside, I use various writing exercises that Judith and Harry introduced to me, and I try to keep in mind their emphasis on successes (rather than shortcomings) in submitted work. Thank you, Judith and Harry!”

Congratulations, Charmaine! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.