Congratulations are in order for three Writers’ Program students who have been selected as 2018 PEN Center USA Emerging Voices Fellows! The Emerging Voices Fellowship provides new writers who are isolated from the literary establishment with the tools, skills, and knowledge they need to launch a professional writing career. As part of the support these writers receive, the Writer’s Program awards them scholarships to take a one-day course and a 10-week course during their mentorship year.

Certificate graduate Ron L. Dowell says of his experience with the Writers’ Program, “Unexposed during my secondary school education, as an adult I felt pretty isolated from the literary community even though I had read the works of Poe, Baldwin, Hemingway, Kafka, Octavia Butler, Hughes, Hurston, Ellison, and others over the years before I stumbled across Mary Jones’ Fiction I in the Writers’ Program. Oh my God! Maybe I can do this, and from there I enrolled in the certificate program where I studied under Rochelle Shapiro, Leon Martell, Paul Mandelbaum, Laurel Ann Bogen, Rick Bursky, and two people to whom I’m most grateful, Colette Sartor and Lou Mathews.”

Current student Francisco Uribe says, “There’s no doubt that I wouldn’t have been selected as a PEN Emerging Voices Fellow if it weren’t for the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program. My writing has improved largely from the guidance of Lou Mathews, Ben Loory, and Colette Sartor.”

Former student Jubi Arriola-Headley says, “UCLA Extension Writers’ Program has given me access to a graduate level education from the other side of the country.  I had the opportunity to workshop my essays with other writers, guided by an amazing teacher, Yelizaveta Renfro – all from the comfort of my dining room table.  For a working person this is really a great option to improve the quality – and quantity – of your writing.  I’m looking forward to my next UCLA Extension class!”

The Writers’ Program is proud of all its exceptional students and again congratulates these recipients on their fellowships! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.