Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor, Tobi Harper! Tobi is teaching a new course this Spring, Introduction to Editing and Publishing, and sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and the upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
My creativity is sparked in strange ways… dog walks, hiking, intelligent conversations, and solo car commuting.

What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
I don’t consider myself a writer, but I make time for reading by putting away my phone and other electronic entertainment (yes, even Netflix). I create energy by getting enough sleep (ha!) and working out every morning. I find motivation in positive thinking and appreciation by others for work well done.

What’s your favorite book and/or movie?
I have too many favorites, but a couple are Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg, Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston, Beloved by Toni Morrison, and The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles.

Sharing my knowledge and love of publishing and literature with others! Publishing is a very misunderstood field, and I love unraveling the myths and misconceptions.

What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?
I hope that my students will have a thorough knowledge of how publishing works behind the scenes as well as how best to advise anyone on how to write and get published.

Anything else?
 24 years ago the founders of Red Hen Press had a dream of helping to turn Los Angeles into a literary city. I cannot tell you how excited we all are to see that dream coming true, especially with the creation of a Publishing and Editing course out of UCLA Extension!

Thank you to Tobi for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!

Bree is the Assistant to the Director and Social Media Coordinator. You can email her at btodish@uclaextension.edu.