Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor, and former student, Kim Askew! She is teaching a new one-day course this Fall, Adapting Literature, Myths, and Fairy Tales for New YA Audiences, and sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and her upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
Nothing sparks my creativity more than experiencing the creative brilliance of others in the arts, whether it’s a lecture at The Getty, a reading at the Downtown L.A. public library, or an L.A. Phil performance at Disney Concert Hall. Classic literature is also a great source of inspiration for me. My writing partner, Amy, and I chose to adapt Shakespeare for Twisted Lit, our series of four young adult novels based on some of the Bard’s most well-loved plays.

What do you rely on for those times when it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
Caffeine, exercise, and deadlines!

What’s your favorite book and/or movie?
That’s a tough one, but Blade Runner and The Philadelphia Story are two of my favorite movies and Cloud Atlas and Middlemarch are two of my many favorite books.

Whose writing discipline do you wish you had?
Stephen King’s!

There’s almost nothing I find more satisfying than being in a fully creative state, and I’m excited to help others see their creative ideas to fruition.

What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?
I hope they walk away with the confidence and tools to find a happy ending for their own project.

Bree is the Assistant to the Director and Social Media Coordinator. You can email her at btodish@uclaextension.edu.