A one hundred fifty-year-old photograph of a dying boy leads a former New Orleans D.A. back to Louisiana when his son is abducted by the sister of a man he falsely convicted of murder.

This is the logline for Remembrance Photo, student Michael Hoffman’s dark thriller set in present day New Orleans. Remembrance Photo was named a top-ten finalist in the Creative Screenwriting Spring 2008 AAA Screenplay Contest as well as a finalist in the 2008 Writers’ Program Screenplay Contest. Michael has taken 14 courses with the Writers’ Program, including Introduction to Screenwriting, Intermediate Feature Film, Master Class in Screenwriting, and Advanced Feature Film Writing.

“I wrote Remembrance Photo in Paula Cizmar‘s Master Class in Screenwriting. I came in with a fairly well thought out first act and nothing else. My experience in the Master Class was very positive, very productive, mainly due to two factors: an excellent instructor and a particularly good group of fellow students. Having a small number of class members, all very committed to their own projects and to helping with everyone else’s projects was critical. I know that my writing skills improved in leaps and bounds because of it.”

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Write to writers@uclaextension.edu.