Mariana Dietl, who has taken many Writers’ Program courses over the last ten years, received The Litchfield Review Fiction Prize for her novel, Confined, released in December 2009 by The Litchfield Review Press. Confined covers the tale of Elena, held captive in an attic by her high-ranking military officer husband, as she tries to survive starvation, isolation and insanity. Set in 1979 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Elena is not just captive to her husband, but to the political and social climate of the time.

“Every UCLA Extension class gave me something: in some I was inspired by the teachers, by their personalities and the quality of their work (as well as their approachability); in others I learned very useful tips and aspects of craft; others gave me the stamina to trust myself and keep on writing and writing non-stop, while in others I had a chance to meet good everlasting friends. In fact, I met my mentor and dear friend, the late Philomene Long, at UCLA Extension, and for that alone I am deeply grateful.”

Congratulations, Mariana! Your success inspires us all.