Mariano Zaro, former Writers’ Program student of poetry, had his third poetry book, The House of Mae Rim/La casa de Mae Rim, published by Carayan Press (San Francisco) recently. The House of Mae Rim/La casa de Mae Rim is a bilingual collection of poetry in both English and Spanish. This collection boasts a total of 31 poems that, as Sarah Maclay states in the forward, “appear as sudden visitations: moments unfolding as oracles, experienced with a keen attention. Disarmingly straightforward, they are haunting because of what they leave out, as well as what is drawn into them. ”

“I was a UCLA extension student with poet Philomene Long and fiction writer Eve La Salle Caram. What I learned in Philomene’s class has been a constant and strong guide in my career as a writer. I enjoyed the diversity of styles we explored in the class and the keen attention given to the pieces we wrote. All criticism was made with honesty and kindness in an effort to improve our writing abilities and to refine our creative voice.”

Well done, Mariano!