Former Writers’ Program student and 2008 James Kirkwood Literary Prize winner Janet Osborn is enjoying continuing success with her Kirkwood-winning entry, “Easter, 1954,” and new success with her short story “Jesus Permit.”

“Jesus Permit” was awarded first place in Inkwell magazine’s Thirteenth Annual Fiction Contest, and will be printed in the upcoming spring edition. It is the story, as Janet describes it, “of two characters in completely different places and time periods whose lives, one afternoon, mysteriously connect and overlap.”

Janet was awarded the single Honorable Mention in Gulf Coast’s 2010 fiction contest for “Easter, 1954.” Since winning the Kirkwood prize, “Easter, 1954” was also a Glimmer Train Honorable Mention and a Southern Indiana Review Mary C. Mohr contest finalist.

“My UCLA Extension Writers’ Program class, taught by David Borofka, was helpful in so many ways. The class provided a reason for me to set aside time to focus on my writing, and feedback from the instructor and the students was essential in shaping and polishing my work. The whole experience was critical in terms of helping me move forward with my writing.”

Congratulations on your continuing success, Janet!