Creative writing student Madeline Sharples’ memoir, Leaving the Hall Light On, A Mother’s Memoir of Living with Her Son’s Bipolar Disorder and Surviving His Suicide, will be released by Lucky Press LLC, this Mother’s Day. The memoir, interspersed with poems, is about dealing with loss and finding peace and balance during her son Paul’s 7-year struggle with bipolar disease.

Madeline says, “When I signed up for my first UCLA Extension creative writing class in 1995, I felt very intimidated. How could my professional work of editing and rewriting engineering prose transfer into the creative realm? But with encouragement and work assignments I surprised myself. In fact, a piece I wrote for that class ended up in my memoir. Since then I’ve never hesitated to try my hand at other genres–poetry with the wonderful Suzanne Lummis, memoir with Maureen Murdock and Barbara Abercrombie, and now the novel with Jessica Barksdale Inclan. Thank you, UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, for your huge role in the publication of this book.”

Thank you Madeline for sharing the news and we wish you all the best on the launch of your new book.