Two longtime Writers’ Program poetry and fiction students, Ro Gunetilleke and Beth Ruscio, recently published their work in Malpais Review.

Ro’s poem is called “Tonto was a Tamil,” and is his attempt to reach back to the days of innocence when Ro thought he had all the answers.

He shares, “I was very fortunate to meet my poetry and fiction gurus, Suzanne Lummis and Lou Mathews, through the WP. During my first poetry workshop with Suzanne, she brought me down to earth very quickly, pointing me inwards. Lou came to our first class with a timeline of my story drawn on a note-pad. He pointed out that there were no shortcuts to the craft of fiction. How lucky I am to have these two great teachers in my life, even today.”

Beth’s poem is “Anniversary of a Crime,” inspired by a late static-y phone call with an old friend and some thoughts she had about Gun Crazy, a movie she studied as part of Suzanne Lummis‘ Poetry Goes to the Movies: A Poem Noir class.

She says, “Suzanne Lummis along with Laurel Ann Bogen, Stephen Cooper, and the late Philomene Long have been huge influences in my writing life. I don’t know where I’d be today without The Writers’ Program.”

Congratulations to you both!