Here we are, a brand new year! What are your writing goals for 2012? Chances are, whatever you have in mind, the Writers’ Program can give you a helping hand in reaching those goals. Let this be the year that you finish that first draft, take up a new exciting genre, or approach writing for the very first time.
What are some of the ways in which we can help? Check it out:
1) The Writers Studio, February 9 -12. Choose one out of 10 workshops (5 in creative writing, 5 in screenwriting), and spend four intensive days plugging away at your writing. The format works really well for people who prefer short, sweet, and intense episodes of writing, or who may not be able to commit to a regular 6, 10 or 12-week course because of their schedules. It’s a great chance to shake your writing up and meet new writer friends. I’d highly recommend signing up now, as spots are filling up fast and the early enrollment pricing ends in just a few days on January 9, 2012.
2) Competitions! Our Screenwriting competitions in Feature Film and Television Writing offer students three ways to win industry exposure, individual mentoring, and cash prizes
3) Say you’ve got a first draft and you’re looking to work one-on-one with an instructor for guidance…never fear! Our consultation services are here. They are great for those with manuscripts of at least 150 pages, or full feature film or television scripts ready to be critiqued.
4) FREE. Did that catch your attention? How about coming to one of our free events? In June we have the Publication Party at the Skirball Cultural Center, or there’s the Writers Faire in August held on the UCLA campus (stay tuned for more details). What if you’re not in Los Angeles? Then we have the Cyberhouse, an open house held entirely in cyberspace, in May.
5) Social Media. Keep up with us and get some writing inspiration by following us on Twitter, and “Liking” our page on Facebook. We offer fun competitions, writing quotations and tips, and share upcoming instructor readings and other events.
6) Our regularly-scheduled courses. Of course!
7) If you still have questions about where to go in 2012, give us a ring! Call a Writers’ Program advisor at (310) 825-9415. We can tell you about these options and more, and guide you towards a course that fits your needs.
2012 is here. Are we ready to reach those writing goals? Yes, we are!
Sara Bond is the Program Assistant for Creative Writing (Online) and Events.