Ah, winter. Fresh snow on the ground, a chill in the air, warm coats—or at least, that’s what I’m told. Here in Los Angeles it’s likely to be clear skies, sunny, and maybe sweater weather (if we’re lucky). But wherever you’re at geographically, winter brings with it a sense of renewal, of feeling refreshed and ready to tackle your goals. And what better way to start off 2013 than with a writing course? Dust off the old laptop, stock up on pens, and get ready for a winter lineup that’s sure to get your creative engine revving.
For the aspiring film and television writers out there, our imaginative new winter courses include:
– Joke-Writing for Television and Film Writers. Yearning to turn those rotten tomatoes into comedy gold? Veteran writer Guy Nicolucci (Late Night with Conan O’Brien, The Daily Show, Comedy Central Roasts) will give you the tools that’ll have them doubled over with laughter in no time.
– Film Genre: A 2-Day Workshop. Have your friends laughed off your latest script idea (“it’s like Independence Day meets Father of the Bride“)? In this weekend workshop, Jule Selbo will teach you the conventions of each genre, how to combine them (or not), and which is the best fit for the story you want to tell.
– Pilot Boot Camp: From Idea to First Draft (Online). What better time than now to finally write that pilot you’ve been dreaming about, all from the comfort of your living room. Instructor Jacqueline Zambrano will have you at “The End” in no time. Bonus: no need to put on pants!
If your aspirations are more literary, we’ve got a grab-bag of courses to get your ideas out of your head and onto the page:
– Reading Your Work: How to Prepare and Do It with Joy. Does the thought of reading your own words aloud to an audience make your stomach sink and your palms sweaty? Writer and performer Erika Schickel will teach you techniques to get up and wow an audience with your words.
– Today’s New Landscape: How to Find the Right Publishing Path for You. Publishing is more competitive than ever, but agent Rebecca Friedman is here to help you embrace the challenge of the market and get your work sold!
– Writing, Editing, and Publishing the Personal Essay: Intermediate Workshop (Online): If you live in a more arctic climate (or just can’t stomach the 405 at rush hour), check out Victoria Zackheim‘s latest course designed to get your personal essay in fighting shape. The editor of five anthologies, Victoria knows what it takes to get your work in print.
And if all this isn’t enough, we’re introducing several new courses at our intensive four-day Writers Studio in February including:
– Unlocking the Writer Within: A Workshop for Aspiring Creative Writers with Rachel Kann
– Novel Revision Techniques with Mark Sarvas
– Creating Compelling Characters with Billy Mernit
Questions about these or other courses? Give us a ring or drop us a line and we’ll help you find the best class to help you meet your goals.
The winter catalog will be available online November 5th.
Katy Flaherty is the Program Representative for Creative Writing (Onsite).