It’s the week everyone’s been waiting for… the 2012 UCLA Extension Writers’ Program Scholarship application is now available for download! To download a pdf of the 2012 -2013 application packet, click here.

Now in its second year, our Scholarship Program will provide ten lucky scholars—in either creative writing or screenwriting—the unique opportunity to take three complimentary full length courses* over the course of one year. That means you can finish your screenplay, get through a draft of your novel, or simply learn the foundation to move forward in your craft, all under the tutelage of our amazing roster of published and produced instructors.

The goal of our Scholarship Program is to foster the talent of promising writers from diverse backgrounds and cultures who might otherwise not have the opportunity to study writing in an educational environment.

Read what some of last year’s Scholarship recipients have to say about the experience:

Screenwriting student Zora Bikangaga says, “Applying for the Extension Writers Program Scholarship is hands down one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I consider myself tremendously fortunate to be able to take classes and learn the building blocks of writing for television from a true veteran like Phil Kellard. Because our class functions similar to a writers’ room, it’s incredibly fun to riff ideas with the rest of the class and get feedback on material. What a privilege!”

Gillian P. Herbert, who has been studying creative non-fiction classes shares, “The scholarship has allowed me to focus in depth on one piece of work and to get feedback from other students as well as the instructor. I’ve been able to develop my skills in writing dialogue as well as narrative. I encourage even the most hesitant writing student to apply–this is a great opportunity.”

Finally, student Derrick Coy says, “I’m grateful for being chosen as one of the 2011-2012 scholarship recipients and I’m thoroughly enjoying the program. Although I’ve chosen to do the program online, I’ve enjoyed meeting my fellow writers, one as far away as Japan, and another serving on board a US Navy vessel at sea. I’ve benefited from the creative work of the other participants as well as the assignments that bring out our creativity.”

HOW TO APPLY

Excited by the prospect?

The application process is simple. First things first—make sure you meet the eligibility requirements. Next, it’s onto your application packet.

As is standard for many types of scholarships, our application lists personal essay questions. Our best advice is to answer the questions genuinely and to put your best writing forward (we are a writing program, after all!). Also, be sure your letters of recommendation speak to your commitment to our Scholarship Program if you are selected as a recipient.

Finally, remember to submit your application to our office no later than 5:00pm on Friday, June 29th. We cannot make exceptions for late or incomplete applications.

In August, we’ll contact the ten lucky recipients with our congratulations—plus all the details about how to register for classes—and we can’t wait!

*Writers Studio, mentorships, master classes, and 20-week courses are excluded.

Mae Respicio is the Program Representative for Creative Writing (Onsite).