You’ve worked hard on your writing. You’ve brainstormed and outlined and written and rewritten and…you’re still not quite there. What’s a writer to do? Lucky for you, we have a plethora of options for advanced students in fall 2012—online and onsite workshops in screenwriting and creative writing, two nine-month master classes, consultation services, online mentorships, and three screenwriting competitions!
Here’s a handy guide to our offerings for advanced writers:
• Advanced Courses: Every quarter, we offer both online and onsite advanced courses, limited to 12 students each. These courses emphasize work-shopping, so you’ll get valuable feedback on your work from the instructor and from other advanced students. If you’re well into your project and have already taken several writing courses, this is a good option for you (writing sample required for admission). Click here for a full list of fall advanced courses (deadline for submission is Sept 5).
• Master Classes: Do you have a complete manuscript in need of polishing? Our 9-month master classes, which bring together 8 students and a top-notch instructor, are designed for advanced students on the verge of producing professional quality work. Throughout the course, your instructor and peers will help you re-envision, rewrite, and polish your novel or script so that it’s in fighting shape for the market. As a bonus, at the culmination of the course, you valuable receive feedback from a professional agent. This year we’re offering Master Classes in Novel Writing (online/low residency) with Lynn Hightower and Feature Film Writing with Tom Lazarus. The Master Class application deadline is August 31st; full application instructions, as well as course information, can be found here.
• Consultation Services: Our consultation services provide a one-on-one experience with the instructor of your choice (depending on availability). You meet with the instructor in person (or over the phone if you’re out of the area) and receive written feedback on your project. Consultations take place throughout the year. For a full list of consultation options and pricing, click on either Manuscript Consultation Services or Screenplay Consultation Services.
• Online Mentorships: Our screenwriting and creative writing mentorships are an opportunity to receive one-on-one online feedback from a Writers’ Program instructor over the course of four weeks. Instructor Tom Lazarus offers a customized course of instruction for beginning, intermediate, and advanced screenwriting students, while novelists Lynn Hightower and Claire Carmichael work with advanced novelists who want to revise and polish their manuscripts.
• Screenwriting Competitions: If you’ve completed three full-length Writers’ Program screenwriting courses over the past 24 months, you’re invited to apply for our annual Screenwriting Competitions in Feature Film Writing and Television Writing (spec and pilot). In addition to cash prizes, our top three winners in each category gain invaluable industry exposure. Click here for more info!
Not sure which option is right for you? Our advisors are here 5 days a week to answer your questions and help you find the best match for your writing needs:
Alicia Wheeler, Creative Writing (Online): email@example.com or 310-794-1846
Jeff Bonnett, Screenwriting (Online): firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-206-1542
Katy Flaherty is the Program Representative for Creative Writing (Online) and Events. Write to her at email@example.com.