For the first time (to our knowledge), the New York Times has published a Sunday Book Review both written by, and featuring, former Writers’ Program students. In her review, Marisa Silver–author of five books—profiles Jim Gavin, whose debut story collection, Middle Men, has been garnering rave reviews far and wide. Marisa’s review is no different. “His talent for description,” she says, “brings character and place to vivid life.”

Both Marisa and Jim are former students of Lou Mathews, who is unsurprised by the success of both former students. “I was really pleased to read that review, but not startled. Both Marisa and Jim demonstrated real talent at an early stage. That kind of talent is what keeps me teaching in the Writers’ Program. I’ve taught in three other university writing programs and never found the consistent levels of talent and commitment that I find in every Writers’ Program class.”

Congratulations to Jim and Marisa on their success, and many thanks, as always, to instructors like Lou, who help our students get there.

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.