The Writers’ Program staff is back in the office, rested and ready to take your calls and answer your emails. And even though we’re only a week or so into 2016, we know it’s going to be a very special year indeed!
First and foremost, we’ll be celebrating our 50th anniversary. That’s right. It’s been 50 years since the Writers’ Program first opened its doors for business in Westwood, and what better way to celebrate than by offering 4 FREE classes?
Yes, you read that correctly!
During each quarter of 2016, we’ll be offering a FREE one-day writing course that’s open to the public on a first-come, first served basis. Sign up for one or sign up for all four, but don’t delay because space is limited. Registration is now open for the first and second classes below. Call (310) 825-9971 or register online at uclaextension.edu.
- Inspired to Write: How to Embrace Your Creativity, Find Your Story, and Ditch Your Inner Critic with Steven Wolfson, March 5, Registration # 263196
- Writer’s Tool Kit: How to Tell a Story with Passion and Craft with Billy Mernit, May 21, Registration # 263424
- How to Become a Professional Film and TV Writer Today, August 13 (registration # to come)
- Publishing and Promoting Your Work—and You—in the Age of Social Media, November 5 (registration # to come)
What else is in store for 2016?
- How about a weekly dose of writing inspiration to help keep your project on track? In celebration of our 50th year, we’ll send FREE weekly writing tips bursting with inspiration directly to your email inbox.
- Going to AWP16? We are, and we’re very excited about it! The Writers’ Program will be offering two panels and also exhibiting at the Associated Writing Programs Conference and Bookfair in Los Angeles in 2016. If you’re planning to attend, be sure to stop by our booth (#1423) to learn more about our programs and services, and to spin the prize wheel to win some cool Writers’ Program swag.
- Lastly, we are very excited to announce that effective Fall 2016, the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program Scholarship will be renamed the Phyllis Gebauer Scholarship in Writing. Phyllis, a beloved Writers’ Program instructor who taught more than 50 courses for the Writers’ Program since 1994, loved teaching and was passionate about providing learning opportunities for those who lack access. When she passed away in 2011, she left the Writers’ Program a generous gift with which to fund this needs-based scholarship program.
So, what’s on YOUR agenda for 2016?
Hopefully, the Writers’ Program is at the top of your list. We have something for everyone – no matter what you’re writing or what stage your writing is in. In addition to 400 annual courses, we offer manuscript and script consultations, certificate programs, scholarships, competitions and more. Call an advisor now to find out which option is right for you. Jeff, Phoebe, and Sarah are waiting to hear from you at 310/825-9415.