Writers’ Program student Tracy Tynan has published her memoir Wear & Tear: The Threads of My Life, about her lavish, bohemian upbringing in the 1950s and 60s as the daughter of renowned theater critic Kenneth Tynan and author Elaine Dundy. Scribner is publishing Wear & Tear, which will be out July 12th.

Tracy says it was Jennie Nash’s class that led to her first breakthrough. “I had been writing parts of my memoir for many years, but my ‘aha’ moment came in Jennie’s memoir writing class. She asked us to describe what our memoirs were about and I realized that clothing was the through line of my memoir. And then I came up with the idea of making each chapter a personal story based on an item of clothing. Jennie was very supportive in helping me develop this idea. I also took advanced memoir writing with Sandra Kobrin, which was very useful–and sometimes painful–in encouraging me to go deeper into my story.”

Congratulations, Tracy!

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Write to writers@uclaextension.edu.