Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor Roberto Marinas! Roberto is teaching an onsite section of Writing the First Screenplay I (UCLA, Reg# 366681) this Spring, and sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and his upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
Asking myself “What’s the worst thing that can happen?” and starting a story or scene from the answer to that question.

What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
I go back to the basics.  What does the character want?  What is stopping them from getting it?  And what’s at stake if they don’t accomplish their goal?  When I’m struggling to write, it’s often because I’ve made things too complex and forgotten that conflict comes from externalizing those basic questions.

What’s your favorite movie?
Apocalypse Now

What’s your favorite quote about writing?
“The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair.” – Mary Heaton Vorse

Whose writing discipline do you wish you had?
Jack London

The students! The students are always the best part. It’s an honor to teach at such a well-respected program and I’m eager to be a part of the UCLA Extension community. Let’s make some movie magic!

What do you hope your students get from your course?
I want my students to come away with a practical screenwriting method that adapts to their personal creative process and evolves with them as they tackle more challenging themes and subject matter in their growth as writers.

Thank you to Roberto for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!