Former student Cindy Lin’s debut novel, The Twelve, was published last month. It is the first in a new fantasy adventure series by Harper Collins Children’s Books, and is a Junior Library Guild selection and recently made the SoCal Indie Bestseller List. Cindy is working on the sequel now, which is planned for release in Summer 2020.

Of her time in the Writers’ Program, Cindy says, “I wouldn’t have gotten to this point without the Writers’ Program! My background is in journalism, and fiction writing was a mystery to me. Thanks to the classes I took, I learned everything from the ins and outs of the publishing business and what a good query letter looked like, to the nuts and bolts of writing a scene. I also learned how to take and give feedback, which is so important!

Cindy Lin

My very first class was an introduction to children’s book writing with Paula Yoo, and she was an excellent guide into the world of children’s literature. My Novel I and II classes were with Leslie Lehr, who encouraged me to be unafraid of a complex tale and also taught me how to break down the daunting task of long-form fiction. And Francesca Lia Block, who taught Novel III, really helped me to deepen and improve my story. There are so many other great instructors that I took classes with but I’m especially grateful to those three. I also met some wonderful classmates who became good friends and critique partners. I’m so glad I got to meet like-minded souls as well as learn what I needed to make a longstanding dream come true. Thanks, Writers’ Program!”

Congratulations, Cindy! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.