Student Rachel Vogel, who has already had success this year, is celebrating her latest achievement. Rachel says, “My short story “Visitors,” which I completed in Paul Mandelbaum’s Short Story III winter workshop this past year, has won the 2019 Halifax Ranch Fiction Prize judged by the novelist Rebecca Makkai and will appear in the literary journal American Short Fiction. The second short story that I completed in Paul’s winter workshop, “Skinny,” was accepted for publication by Harvard Review (as previously reported on this site) and can now be read online.

Of her Writers’ Program experience, she says, “I credit Paul’s workshop hugely for my success. His leadership and insight, along with the generous feedback of my fellow students, proved vital in bringing these stories to their fullest potential. I encourage all writers seeking inspiration, camaraderie, and technical guidance to take the excellent courses on offer at the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program.”

Congratulations, Rachel! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.