Student Pam Wiedenbeck achieved a long term goal last fall with the publication of her book, “Pam, You Not Doing Job.” Pam credits the Writers’ Program with helping to achieve this goal, saying, “If it had not been for the Writers Studio and the annual Writing Retreat (at Lake Arrowhead), my book would have been a shadow of what it became. Publishing the book fulfilled a promise to my mentor, Yung Tsau, which was made over 20 years ago. Yung had a way with words that made the job of consulting and project management a bit easier and always more enjoyable. The introductory essay was essentially completed in Barbara Abercrombie‘s essay class during my first Writers Studio experience. There the essay sat as I explored novel, memoir and story structure in the Studio. I took my novel to both the first and second Retreat before I returned to my promise in the 2019 Retreat. In a marathon of writing supported and encouraged by (Program Director) Charles, I finished all the essay’s, did a passable job of proof-reading and produced the galley at Amazon in three days. The proof arrived at Lake Arrowhead on Thursday afternoon and the book was submitted for publication on Friday morning just before lunch. I could not have done it without classes and support of the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program. I am truly going to miss the Retreat this year. I look forward to the 2021 Studio and have two project to carry into both pieces of the program in 2021.”

Congratulations, Pam! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.