Former student Hamilton Mitchell recently won first place in Fade In’s Comedy Screenplay Competition. Of his experience, Hamilton says, “I was just a working actor when I started and made the same mistakes a lot of beginners do — I assumed I knew how to write, because I had seen or done a lot of TV shows and movies, then another big mistake — ignoring any criticism of that novice effort. The real success came with a shift in thinking — the script hadn’t made it for one reason — it wasn’t good enough. Thanks to the Writers’ Program, I was finally able to get my writing to that level. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, but it means that much more because of it.”

Expanding on his Writers’ Program experiences, he says, “I found UCLA Extension to be a refreshing change from some of the old-school, old schools. So many contemporary instructors at the Writers’ Program in all areas, it’s hard to point to one moment, but I wouldn’t have won anything without them. It’s given me a lot of hope as a writer.”

Congratulations, Hamilton! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.