For current times, and any time it feels like the odds are stacked against you and your creativity, or writing goals. Does what it says on the tin, we hope.

E. B. White: “I admire anybody who has the guts to write anything at all.”

Lorraine Hansberry: “Never be afraid to sit awhile and think.”

Leigh Bardugo: “I think that when you’re writing, being creative in other ways is really useful and therapeutic.”

Oscar Wilde: “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.”

Maya Angelou: “The horizon leans forward, Offering you space to place new steps of change.”

Tom Peters: “Celebrate what you want to see more of.”

Lin-Manuel Miranda: “I don’t know how to write except for research, research, research, empathy.”

Virginia Woolf: “No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.”

Erica Jong: “I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me. I have accepted fear as a part of life, specifically the fear of change, the fear of the unknown, and I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back.”

Audre Lorde: “When we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard or welcomed. But when we are silent, we are still afraid. So it is better to speak.”

Doris Lessing: “Whatever you’re meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.”

Richard Wright: “I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all.”

Mark Twain: “Focus more on your desire than on your doubt, and the dream will take care of itself.”

Elaine May: “The only safe thing is to take a chance.”