Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor Matt Corman! Matt is teaching a section of One-Hour TV III (Reg# 382988) in our Remote Instruction format, with live Zoom class meetings on Thursdays at 7pm PT this Fall. He sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and his upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
I believe that routine is the bane of creativity. Anything we can do to get out of our comfort zones will challenge us and enrich the mind and spirit. Travel in particular tends to allow me to see the world differently, and ideas just seem to flow during and after trips.

What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
Every writer faces moments of doubt, or times where the ideas just aren’t coming. In those times I think it best to put the laptop aside and re-engage with the world. Take a walk. Re-read a book you love or re-view an old film that gives you joy. Unless you are on an extreme deadline, moments of hesitancy can be your creative soul telling you that you aren’t quite ready, and it is wise to listen.

What’s your favorite book and/or movie?
James Salter was as gifted a writer as America has had in a long time, and I’m not sure he gets the appreciation he deserves. His prose is so evocative, and his novel A Sport and A Pastime is fantastic.

What’s your favorite quote about writing?
“Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it is the only way you can do anything good.” – William Faulkner.

I am excited to help my students unlock their potential. For me, teaching writing is partially about conveying the mechanics of good craft and partially about getting writers to access the deepest parts of their own instincts with confidence.

What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?
I hope my students will feel more confident about their own voices after taking my class. I also like to bring in a lot of practical exercises and real-world examples so students can start to mold their creative concepts into solutions that put them on a path towards a thriving Hollywood career.

Thank you to Matt for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!