Current Creative Nonfiction Certificate student and Allegra Johnson Prize winner Maggie Morris was recently awarded a writing residency for this spring. Maggie says, “I had no idea a residency was within my reach until taking Ploi Pirapokin’s “Applying to Residencies and Fellowships” course. Ploi’s class was perhaps the most invigorating one I have taken at UCLA Extension – I came away from that class with completed materials needed for applying to residencies. Ploi’s instruction, experience, and positivity made the class fun – through her leadership and instruction, I not only came away with a set of applicable materials, I also found some confidence in myself to submit my applications. I am thrilled to have been awarded a one-month artist residency, beginning in March 2022, at the Kimmel Harding Center for the Arts.”

Of her experience in the Writers’ Program, she says, “I am so grateful to the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program; I have grown so much as a writer over the past two years, especially through Shawna Kenney’s classes, who like Ploi, is a teacher who went above and beyond my expectations as I put together the beginnings of my first manuscript. While at KHN this spring, There I plan to work towards completing my manuscript, Stone, which received the Allegra Johnson Prize this year from UCLA Extension.”

Maggie can be found at: www.maggiemorris.com.

Congratulations, Maggie! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.