Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor Kate Gale! Kate is teaching Editorial Management II: Publication and Beyond (reg# 386108) in our Remote Classroom format with weekly meetings on Zoom, starting Tuesday, April 5 this Spring. She sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and her upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
I am creative when I get enough sleep and then go for a long walk, and let the dreams start bubbling.

What do you look for in a good story?
I like stories that are written at a level of mastery of level and excellence, and feel like the universe is unfolding like a fan. I want writing that really plays.

What’s your favorite book and/or movie?
I love the book Beloved, more than most other books, and movies, I really like Stranger than Fiction.

What’s your favorite quote about writing?
“If there is a book that you want to read, and it hasn’t been written, yet, then you must write it.” Toni Morrison

What do you find most inspiring about editing as part of the writing/publishing process?
I love the editing because you are shaping the book and feeling the pacing pick up, the ending change, the story tighten. It’s the final bit of the story entering its fierce beauty.

I can’t wait to meet the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program students. I’ve heard from other faculty how amazing the students are, and I look forward to meeting them.

What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?
They will become writers with special powers, writers who understand how publishing works so they can get published or work in publishing or just find out what it’s like to be a maker. My world of making books is magic. Welcome to the magic.

Thank you to Kate for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!