Kirsten Gilliam photography, 2018

Creative Writing Instructor Aminah Mae Safi recently published her latest YA novel. Aminah says, “My fourth book, Travelers Along the Way: A Robin Hood Remix is out in the world! It was such a journey to publication on this one. It was the book I wrote during the pandemic and the book I wrote going through cancer treatment. I think just finishing the thing felt like such an achievement. But getting to hold that book in my hands for the first time was really a special feeling for this one.”

Of her experience teaching in the Writers’ Program she says, “For me, the best part of being a teacher is watching students learn to workshop and grow as writers. They learn from one another and they begin to teach one another. Creating the environment that facilitates that kind of peer-to-peer learning is one of my favorite things about being a teacher and one of the beautiful parts of the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program.”

Congratulations, Aminah! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.