The Writers’ Program is thrilled to add an events and community engagement intern to our team, thanks to a generous opportunity through the LA County Arts Commission Arts Internship Program. Alice will be working on event and community related planning and execution at many levels, and as she’ll be the face of the WP at several events over the next few months, we wanted to give her a proper introduction.

Alice, tell us about yourself!
Hi! I recently graduated from UCLA class of 2022 with a bachelor’s degree in English, a concentration in creative writing, and a minor in film, television, and digital media. I am a poet, writer, and translator in English and Chinese. When I’m not working with words, I love playing music, going to concerts and museums, making coffee at home, but most often you’ll find me recharging alone or on a walk!

What’s a fun fact that most people don’t know about you?
I played the violin in a rock band for most of my time at UCLA!

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what 3 works of literature would you take with you?
Averno by Louise Glück, Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson, and something dense, long, but fun… perhaps Dream of the Red Chamber in my native language. 

Are you a writer? If yes, what are you currently writing?
Yes! I’m currently writing poems and in the meantime working on a longer, critical essay about Yiyun Li.

What excites you most about working in the Writers’ Program?
It’s a wonderful feeling knowing that you are surrounded by people who care about literature as much as you do. It really makes waking up in the morning easier!