Three cheers for student Merna Dyer Skinner on the publication of her first poetry chapbook, A Brief History of Two Aprons through Finishing Line Press! Merna says, “A year to the day of my first class with Rick Bursky, my first poem was published by a literary journal — then three more by other journals — and precisely one year after that, my first chapbook was published.” Merna didn’t start out a poet though. “I’d never taken a creative writing class until I moved to LA in 2010,” Merna describes, “and in that first year here I started fiction writing classes with Lou Mathews and Edan Lepucki. I then transitioned to creative non-fiction with Barbara Abercrombie. Later, with my sole intention to strengthen my prose writing, I took an introductory poetry class with Ricky Bursky. And that’s when I discovered my true passion — writing poetry. I cannot thank the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program enough for truly changing my life.”

Thank you, Merna, and we are so happy to have helped you along the way! Check out Merna on her website www.mernadyerskinner.com!

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Write to writers@uclaextension.edu.