Writers’ Program student Deborah Spera has sold her first novel, Alligator, to Harper Collins, Park Row.

Of her novel, Deborah says, “Alligator takes place in rural South Carolina in 1924 after the boll weevil infestation has plunged the south into severe economic depression… Three women must face together a terrible evil to defend those they love. This is a story about the ferocity of motherhood and the lengths we go to to protect our young.”

A student in the Fiction Writing Certificate Program, Deborah speaks highly of several instructors. “I honestly could not have written this novel without the encouragement and incredible insight of Robert Eversz. His wisdom and kindness and support was unparalleled. I hope to work with him again and again. In truth I’ve had a remarkable experience with UCLA Extension Writers’ Certificate Program. Other teachers of note for me were Dr. Adam Prince and David Borofka. I started this program two years ago with no expectation and now I have a sold novel. Every step has been a dream come true.”

Congratulations, Deborah! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Write to writers@uclaextension.edu.