Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor, Amisha Patel! Amisha is teaching a one-day course this Spring, Why Writers Fail (And How Not To), and sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and her upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
If I daydream or observe the world around me, a story starts to percolate in my imagination and then I want to write it down to see where it goes.

What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
I allow for there to be ebbs and flows. I really enjoy going through periods where writing is central in my life, but I also don’t force it. Usually, taking a step away for a little while gives me new perspective and makes my writing better.

What’s your favorite book and/or movie?
The Harry Potter series. It’s not literature, but it’s full of imagination and wisdom so I love it.

What’s your favorite quote about writing?
Virginia Woolf talks about writing in her speech/essay, “Professions for Women”. She describes the imagination in such a vivid, wonderful way, and she discusses the importance of “killing the angel in the house”, which is another way of saying – you have to lose your inhibition.
The full text can be found here: http://s.spachman.tripod.com/Woolf/professions.htm

I love to meet other passionate writers who are excited to grow.

What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?
I hope everyone experiences a breakthrough – an a-ha moment that sets them free from whatever limitations they were facing.

Thank you to Amisha for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!

Bree is the Assistant to the Director and Social Media Coordinator. You can email her at btodish@uclaextension.edu.