The UCLA Extension Writers’ Program Scholarship seeks to acknowledge and foster the talent of promising writers from diverse backgrounds and cultures who might otherwise not have the opportunity to study their craft in a supportive educational environment. Up to ten scholars are named annually, and each of the recipients is given the opportunity to enroll in three full-length Writers’ Program courses during a one-year period (the Writers Studio, mentorships, master classes, and 20-week courses are excluded). Courses may be taken either onsite or online but cannot be deferred for any reason.
In order to be considered eligible for the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program Scholarship, applicants must have:
- A gross income not to exceed $2500 a month per individual. For households with more than one individual, add 10% for each additional person.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or be an eligible non-citizen with a green card
The following applicants are considered ineligible:
- UCLA Extension employees and their family members or dependents
- MA, MFA, and PhD graduates in Creative Writing, Screenwriting, Literature, or Journalism
- Students currently pursuing a degree in any field
- International students
- Former Writers’ Program Scholarship Recipients
- Former PEN Emerging Voices Fellows
Applications for the 2015-2016 year has passed. Please check back with us for more information.
Important information regarding your FAFSA SAR:
- You are required to submit a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) from the 2015-16 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with your application (www.fafsa.ed.gov).
- It can take anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks to get your SAR, so fill out your FAFSA early. SARs will not be accepted after the deadline.
- The SAR is not the same as the FAFSA summary page you receive immediately after submitting your FAFSA application.
If you have questions about the scholarship, please contact Katy Flaherty at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 310-206-0951.
Click here for an article about the 2014-2015 recipients!