Tim Molloy, a Writers’ Program student who has taken Novel I, II, and III, recently published his first novel! How to Break Bad News, published by Virgin Books last fall, is, in Molloy’s words, “a comic debut about a reporter who goes undercover at a fast food Mexican restaurant and soon finds that he prefers working there to being a reporter.”

Tim had this to say about his experience with the Writers’ Program:

“If someone told you about classes that would help you finish your novel, get an agent, and get published, I’m guessing you would sign up. The UCLA Extension Writers’ Program did all these things for me. Maureen Connell gave me the encouragement I needed to get started, Claire Carmichael told me when my characters were getting a little too cute (which was all the time), and Seth Greenland and Mark Haskell Smith gave the best practical advice any first-time novelist could hope to hear–from how to tell a joke to why you should sign as many copies of your books as possible. The worst-case scenario: You meet a lot of great people who love to talk about writing.”

Congratulations Tim, we look forward to seeing what you do next!

If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Write to writers@uclaextension.edu.