Melinda Palacio, Writers’ Program student and poet, is enjoying double the success in 2010. As winner of the Sense of Place Poetry Chapbook Competition, Kulupi Press will publish her poetry chapbook Folsom Lockdown this spring. If that wasn’t exciting enough, Arizona State University’s Bilingual Review Press will publish her novel, Ocotillo Dreams, in fall 2010. Advanced praise for Folsom Lockdown includes that it is “that rare literary song that jars the heart, the memories, the pains, as well as what’s good in all of us.”

Melinda credits the guidance of Writers’ Program instructors with helping her reach her goals. “Phyllis Gebauer’s classes helped me learn the basics of fiction writing. She’s wonderful for beginners. I took some of her classes many years ago, but still remember her love for the craft and the ease in which she shared her knowledge of writing. Leslie Schwartz helped me realize my goals. She gave me concrete advice on the structure of the novel and how to turn my idea into a finished book. Her enthusiasm for the written word helped me arrive at the last two words of my novel, The End.”

Wonderful work, Melinda!