Today marks the official start of our annual Cyberhouse: An Online Open House. Join us June 1-4 for this award-winning, interactive, virtual open house, where you can explore the online learning format and discover the joys of learning writing online. And by enrolling in this free event, you’ll be eligible to receive a 10% discount on summer courses! You’ll also be able to interact with 35 summer quarter instructors; chat with knowledgeable advisors who can guide you to the best course to meet your writing goals; test out the Blackboard format; participate in three live chats with instructors Victoria Zackheim (non-fiction), Barney Lichtenstein (screenwriting), and Caroline Leavitt (fiction); participate in our Cyberhouse writing contest; and network with fellow writers from around the world.

Why is Cyberhouse–now in its fourth year–so popular? According to Writers’ Program Director Linda Venis: “Institutional open houses are classic brick and mortar events–an opening talk by the program director, maybe one or two instructors discussing the curriculum, and staff advisors on hand to talk to prospective students–but that format is no match for the access to instructors, course advisement, and exposure to other aspiring writers that Cyberhouse provides.”

Charles Stapleton, a professor at West Los Angeles College and 2009 Cyberhouse participant agrees. “It’s an extraordinary event. I was able to have a dialogue with several of the instructors and got answers to all of my questions. One thing that often eludes me is determining which class to take from among so many wonderful choices. I was able to get the answers I needed and enroll in the best class for me based upon my goals and experiences. Thanks!”

Cyberhouse is also great for returning students like Julie Howard who frequents the event in preparation for the upcoming quarter. “My thanks go to the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program for hosting the Cyberhouse. Though I am already a certificate program student, I find this experience a valuable one because I’m able to chat with potential teachers and learn more about the classes I’m considering.”

Whether you want to fully participate in Cyberhouse or just want to browse the information-rich pages at your own pace, we encourage you to join in the fun. To enroll in this unique online writing community click here or call 310-825-9971 to enroll by phone. For more details, email Writers@uclaextension.edu.

Chae Ko is the program representative in screenwriting at the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program. Write to him at cko@uclaextension.edu