Student Timothy Tau won the 2011 Hyphen Asian American Short Story Contest for “The Understudy” which will be published in Hyphen Magazine’s November issue. “The courses I took included Creative Writing: Short Story with Stephen Cooper — an initial draft of ‘The Understudy’ was born in that class. I also took a science fiction writing course with Mike Buckley that was very educational and inspiring for integrating genre elements, which I do not only in my writing but also in my films.” Timothy also studied with Adam Cushman and Lou Mathews.

His best piece of advice to non-published writers is this: “Just keep submitting, never take anything personally, and instead of letting rejection slow you down or depress you, use it to fuel your drive to keep submitting more and more. It’s all a numbers game and the more you submit and the more you write (and the more you read and the more writing courses you take), the more you will improve and grow and evolve and improve your chances of being accepted.”

Thanks, Timothy—agreed! We look forward to hearing about your future publishing successes.