Writers’ Program student Magdalena Edwards has a couple exciting developments in her writing career. Her essay “Anniversaries, Anesthesia, and Elizabeth Bishop” was published by the online magazine The Millions in August this year; and her essay “Unmentionables: On Norman Rush’s Domestic Disturbances” was published in the Los Angeles Review of Books in October.

“Anniversaries” is a personal essay that combines Magdalena’s study of the 20th century poet Elizabeth Bishop, and her recent experience as a new mother of two boys born with defects that required newborn surgery. “Unmentionables” provides an overview of Norman Rush’s literary career, a scene from his forthcoming novel Subtle Bodies (Knopf 2013), and a meditation on the question of children and childlessness as presented in his fiction.

Magdalena says, “I have studied with Barbara Abercrombie since February 2009. Barbara is a phenomenal workshop leader and teacher who knows how to encourage and push each student as needed. She has helped me to unearth my voice. ‘Simplify,’ she always says to me, which I translate into ‘find the emotional core and the driving question, and write that.’ I continue to study with her and I consider it a great privilege.” Congratulations, Magdalena!