If you make New Year’s resolutions you probably know the feeling: the holiday parties have come and gone and the actual blood, sweat, and tears of making your goals a reality has begun. It’s what I like to call the mid-January drag. It’s during this critical period, when habits are still solidifying and our new routines are shaky, that inspiration is essential.

Oh sure, in the heat of the moment, three glasses of champagne in, it’s easy to say “this is the year I’m finally going to write my novel!” or “I will finish Act I of my screenplay by summer,” but now is the time for follow through. And what better way to set aside time for you and your writing than the 2012 Writers’ Studio?

Held over the course of four days in Westwood (adjacent to the UCLA campus), the Studio provides the time, space, and motivation to make your writing goals a reality. For four days you write, workshop, learn, network, forge new friendships, write, and then write some more (and did we mention that coffee is included?). As 2011 participant Phyllis Berger put it, “the discipline of immersing myself in writing for such a concentrated period of time helped me to focus and expand my skills with none of the usual distractions.”

For online students, the Studio is a great opportunity to benefit from the kinetic energy that can be lost in the online classroom. “It was fun to have the face to face interaction with people interested in things I am interested in,” explains 2011 student Heidi Clark. “I have done some of the online classes, which are great (and very convenient, since I live about 200 miles away), but there is a different energy to being in the classroom.”

Many Studio courses are still available, but spots are filling up quickly. Our advisors are here Monday through Friday to help find the perfect class for you. Give us a call at 310-825-9415 to reserve your spot today!

CREATIVE WRITING
Kim Krizan — Answering Your Muse: A Workshop for Aspiring Creative Writers
Jennie Nash — Writing and Publishing Your Memoir
Francesca Lia Block — Writing Your First Novel
Michael Buckley — Writing Scenes in Fiction

SCREENWRITING
Robert Bryant — Storytellers Wanted: Writing Video Games Now
Steve Mazur — Crafting the Comedy Screenplay
Cindy Davis — Writing Your First Screenplay
Joel Thompson — Creating the One-Hour Drama Spec Script’s Story and Outline
Julie and David Chambers — Creating the Half-Hour Comedy Pilot

Katy Flaherty is the Program Representative for Creative Writing (Online) and Events. Write to her at kflaherty@uclaextension.edu.