Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor Lesley Hyatt! Lesley is teaching a one day course, Making Friends with Your Inner Critic (Reg# 368679) this August, and sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and her upcoming course.

What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
I practice mindfulness and lead mindfulness groups, and for difficult times, nothing compares to what these teachings and practices offer. Except perhaps a walk. A good walk, resolutely unplugged, generally manifests optimism and unexpected inspiration.

What’s your favorite book and/or movie?
Is this a trick question?! How about some recent favorites? I loved reading Max Porter’s Grief Is a Thing with Feathers. Recent guilty movie pleasure: John Wick.

What’s your favorite quote about writing?
I don’t have a quote about writing. But here’s a link to Jerry Saltz’s How to Be an Artist.

Who do you wish you could write like (or: Whose writing discipline do you wish you had)?
Forget “write like.” I want to BE Neil Gaiman.

I love to work with writers, and I’m intensely empathetic to the struggles most writers face every day. I suppose what excites me most is the opportunity to provide other writers some hope, encouragement, and fun, along with solid instruction on craft and publishing. But fun, please! Writers can be so serious! (Or maybe it’s just me?)

What do you hope your students get from your course?
To believe in the value and significance of their unique voices on the page. And to cultivate an attitude of playfulness, even when the work itself is serious.

Thank you to Lesley for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!