Creative Nonfiction Certificate alumna, Tembi Locke, had her debut memoir From Scratch published by Simon & Schuster in April of this year. In May, it was named as Hello Sunshine’s (Reese Witherspoon’s Book Club) pick for the month, and has become a New York Times Bestseller! It is a cross-cultural love story set in Los Angeles and Sicily and traces three summers Tembi spent with her young daughter in a small rural Sicilian town after her Italian chef-husband died. A transportive and sensual journey of discovery, it is about love, loss, family and finding home.

Of her time in the Writers’ Program, Tembi says, “As a graduate of the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, I studied with so many incredible, gifted and generous teachers. The Extension program taught me about creative nonfiction. Alison Singh Gee was instrumental in initially helping me see the potential scope of my story. Shawna Kenney helped navigate intersecting narratives and themes and she taught me how to move from proposal to completed manuscript and through rewrites. There are definitely parts of the book I began in writing classes on campus and online.”

Congratulations, Tembi! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.