Former student Annelousie Mahoney will have her debut picture book published in April, 2021. About the experience, she says, “Julus and Macy: A Very Brave Night is my first book. It had a lot of rejections and many more revisions, so holding a copy of my book is experiencing something very special. It’s holding my dream in my hands.”

Of her experience in the Writers’ Program, Annelouise says, “When I was ready to dedicate myself to the craft of writing for children I enrolled in, Writing Picture Books For Children, with Sherry Shahan through UCLA Extension. I went on to take Intermediate Picture Book Writing with Terry Pierce that summer. Terry Pierce and Sherry Shahan gave their time and dedication to us students. Their encouragement and guidance paved the way for me to continue learning and stretching myself. UCLA Extension online courses proved invaluable to me as a busy parent. My daughters were very young and the online class made learning accessible to me. Both Sherry Shahan and Terry Pierce are excellent at teaching the craft of writing for the children’s market and I recommend them constantly!”

Congratulations, Annelouise! If you have a success story, we want to hear about it! Click here.