Welcome New WP Work Studies

Work studies are an integral part of the Writers’ Program team. They provide a lot of program support by assisting staff with various administrative, event, and social media tasks. We’re excited to introduce our newest work studies Alexandra and Hamna!

Writers’ Program: Alexandra and Hamna, tell us about yourselves!

Hamna

Hamna: Hi! My name is Hamna and I’m from LA, California. I am currently a freshman at UCLA and I love it so far! I am a Pre-Human Biology and Society major, and hope to work in the healthcare field as a PA in the future. Although I am not an English major, I enjoy taking insightful English classes (especially historical literature) and love learning about different creative avenues. I also love anything related to art- painting is one of my favorite hobbies! I’m also a huge fan of horseback riding and cats.

Alexandra: Hi! My name is Alexandra (pronouns she/they), and I am from Simi Valley, California. I am currently a fourth year at UCLA studying Music Education and Sociology. I write for FEM magazine here at UCLA and I hope to broaden my experience as a writer. I love matcha lattes with oat milk, plants, painting, crocheting, and playing video games!

What’s a fun fact that most people don’t know about you?

H: I love doing henna tattoos on my family and friends! Growing up in a Pakistani family, I was accustomed to women putting henna on for weddings, special occasions, or just for fun. Although I just started practicing designs not too long ago, I find this art form very special and enjoyable to do.

A: A fun fact about me is that I speak Polish! My parents immigrated from Poland and I hope to one day get the chance to live there myself. I never got a huge chance to connect with my culture, but I have so much family there that I haven’t even met yet!

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what 3 works of literature would you take with you?

Alexandra

H: In the Shadow of the Banyan by Vaddey Ratner, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger.

A: The Hobbit, as much as I love the trilogy, feels like home. For a thought-provoking read I’d have Are Prisons Obsolete by Angela Davis. And for memes, probably The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx.

Are you a writer? If yes, what are you currently writing?

H: I am still learning when it comes to writing, however, I love free-writing some of my thoughts and some poems.

A: I think I am a writer. I write and I have articles published, but I just don’t know if I am a writer, yet. Currently, I am actually working on a couple short-memoirs about my mom, who I recently lost to brain cancer. Who knows if they’ll see the light of day but I know she would love it.

What excites you most about working in the Writers’ Program?

H: I am very excited to be part of a program where there are many passionate writers and creative individuals. I believe that I can learn a variety of skills and knowledge from my surrounding coworkers. I am also looking forward to contributing to this program that aims to help fellow writers and students.

A: I am so excited to be around and learning from other writers. I feel like it is so important who is invited into one’s space and being around other creatives who share their passions is fulfilling. I love that I will be doing work that is both building my skills in writing and helping others grow their own.