Welcome new Writers’ Program instructor Chris Atwood! Chris is teaching a section of Half-Hour TV I (reg# 386853) in our Remote Classroom format with weekly meetings on Zoom, starting Tuesday, July 5 this Summer. He sat down with us to offer some insight into creative life and his upcoming course.

What sparks your creativity?
Great writing and great music, definitely.  But also just being bored or letting my mind wander when I’m walking my dog or working out.

What do you rely on for those times it’s difficult to find the time, energy, motivation and/or inspiration to write?
I write anyway.  I don’t believe in waiting for inspiration or the perfect mood.  Just sit down and start writing, and eventually something good will come out.

What’s your favorite movie?
Step Brothers is the best movie ever. Talladega Nights and Anchorman are close seconds.  I am obviously not a grownup.

What’s your favorite quote about writing?
“The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes.” – Agatha Christie  (and my wife)

Who do you wish you could write like?
Adam McKay (see above)  Also, anyone who wrote on Peacemaker last season.

Being in a room full of comedy writers is my favorite thing in the world. We are going to write a lot, talk about writing a lot, and laugh a lot. Who doesn’t want to get paid to do that? (I am getting paid, right?)

What do you hope your students get from your course(s)?
I get ridiculously excited about writing (and comedy) and I hope that enthusiasm is contagious. I also don’t believe there is one right way to do things when it comes to writing, so my goal is to help my students try out a bunch of different techniques so they can keep what works for them in their “writers toolbox.” That way they have the tools to handle whatever the entertainment industry throws their way.

Thank you to Chris for taking time to share with us. Look for more instructor interviews coming soon!