The Writers’ Program is excited to welcome a new Student Advisor Officer to our team! Zam Zam joined us shortly before the holiday break and has taken on the role of a student advisor and social media guru. In this vital capacity, they will play a key role in supporting our student advising team and fostering community engagement through the utilization of all our social media accounts. We had the pleasure of sitting down with Zam Zam to learn more about them.

Tell us about yourself!

Ah, the journey from MFA grad to TV enthusiast and back to academia – because life is just a series of questionable career choices, right? I revel in the joy of being in writing communities and soak up the luxury of working to create more and more writing classes, every day feels like an immersion in the craft and is a bit of more my style compared to my previous gig as a TV Writer’s Assistant. I’m the proud parent of two orange tabby cats and a Cane Corso-Australian Cattle Dog mix. Because nothing says “I’ve got my life together” like managing a mini-zoo. Also, I love to dance, but not in the “I have rhythm” way, more like a wild animal escaping captivity. Currently residing in Highland Park – where the rent is high, but the neighbors are higher.

What’s a fun fact that most people don’t know about you?

I’ve cultivated a deep passion for ’90s fashion models. Helena Christianson, Yasmine Ghauri, Linda Evangelista – my Instagram is a shrine dedicated to these goddesses. Back in the day, my idea of window shopping was getting side-eyed by Gucci and Dior clerks at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. It’s the nostalgia of being treated like a pleb in couture stores – good times.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what 3 works of literature would you take with you?

I’m packing Arundhati Roy’s “God of Small Things” for a touch of literary sophistication, Suheir Hammad’s “Born Palestinian Born Black” for some reality check, and Cherrie Moraga’s “Xicana Code of Changing Consciousness” for when I need a dose of woke wisdom – because nothing says “I’m stranded” like reciting iconic Xicanx literature to a volleyball.

Are you a writer? If yes, what are you currently writing?

Indeed, I’m a writer-director, juggling life like a cirque-de-soleil act where you fall off the silks. Currently birthing my second short film, “The Studio,” where a closeted queer couple stumbles into an LGBTQI+ yoga studio and that subsequently leads to queer betrayal and deception.

What excites you most about working in the Writers’ Program?

Oh, the people! The well-intentioned souls at the Writers’ Program are like a support group for grammar addicts. It’s the best team I’ve ever worked with, and I genuinely appreciate my colleagues – even the ones who eat all my desk chocolates. Plus, the cherry on top is the perk of taking classes at Extension. It’s like having a second job that pays in creativity and structured pursuit of my artistic dreams. Who needs a therapist when you’ve got a writing community, am I right? Cheers to artistic pursuits and structured daydreaming!

The WP’ is very excited to have Zam Zam as a permanent member of our team!